Thank you for your interest in being part of the AIRWAY community! Whether you are planning on participating in a live event or simply wish to be part of our virtual stage, please follow the instructions below. Although our live events have traditionally followed an open mic format, we strongly recommend that you submit at least a preliminary audio draft of your story to AIRWAY ahead of time. Our team can help you edit and refine your story so that it can create the most impact when you hit the live stage.
If you have any questions that are not answered here, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Stories MUST BE DEVOID OF PATIENT IDENTIFIERS and strict adherence to patient confidentiality must be maintained.
- Keep in mind that there are many lessons to draw from our experiences in the ER. The most valuable stories distill our experience into a positive light and help us see our work in a more favorable way.
- By participating in the AIRWAY storytelling forum (live or online) you are giving permission for us to use the recording of your story on our website unless you specifically ask us not to do so.
When Recording Your Story
- Find a quiet room where you are unlikely to be interrupted. Smaller spaces with more drapery or furniture create less ambient echo (e.g. a walk-in closet would be perfect). Some people have been known to record under the covers in order to create the same effect. No judgement here.
- Using a microphone will also improve the audio quality of your recording. Something as simple as the microphone attached to the classic white iPhone headphones would work fine.
- Try to record everything in a single session rather than sending multiple files. If you screw up, we can edit it out.
- At the beginning of your story, please clearly state the following:
- Your full name
- Your title (resident, nurse, paramedic, attending physician, etc.)
- Your institution
- Finally, please CLEARLY provide your preferred phone number and email address and state whether you are (1) submitting your audio file in order to receive feedback prior to one of our live events or (2) only for our virtual stage. Your contact information will not be shared publically–this is only so that our team can get in touch with you.
Audio File Submission Process
STEP 1: Download the app Awesome Voice Recorder (AVR), available for free on the iTunes store.
STEP 2: Set the file format to “MP3” and encode quality to “medium.”
STEP 3: Go back to the home screen and make your recording
STEP 4: View your recorded file
STEP 5: Click the “share” button next to your recording (the little square with an arrow up on the right hand side)
STEP 6: Select “share.”
STEP 7: Select “email.”
- Send to “email@example.com.”